Theo Stocker puts Cortex to the test
Yachting Monthly put Cortex through its paces in August by installing it and spending time using it on the water. Theo Stocker wrote up a full review of his experience, including how he found it to install.
A few highlights from the article:
- "Installation is pretty straightforward, and you can install it alongside your existing setup, or instead of, and get rid of a number of bulky boxes."
Easy installation is no accident - we put considerable effort into making Cortex easy to install. In fact, there are 8 reasons why Cortex is an installer's dream.
- "For a system that does so much, operation is surprisingly intuitive and simple."
Our number one goal for Cortex was to make advanced, life-saving features easy to use.
- "Using the Vesper Cortex as an AIS to find, contact and avoid other vessels, and as a plain VHF radio, all while standing at the helm with a handheld device, was so intuitive that I quickly forgot how revolutionary this actually is."
YES! We love hearing feedback like that.
- "There are other DSC radios with integrated Class B AIS just coming on to the market as well, but the fact that it does so much more – not least anchor watch and remote monitoring – makes this a genuinely game-changing piece of equipment."
We think so too. Cortex might seem more expensive than other options at first glance - but not when you take into account how much it can do, how many devices it replaces and how seamlessly it works.
- "On larger vessels, the ability to keep the handset on you at the helm, on deck or by your bunk is invaluable."
Yes, and having it as part of your overall system means you have all the information you need at your fingertips.
- "The reassuring thing about this system is that it is designed for functions to be added via free software upgrades as functions are imagined and added, making it a pretty future-proof investment."
We've already added amazing new functionality with a number of software updates. In October, version 1.7 unlocks use of the 30W audio output port for hailer and fog. It also won't be long before Theo gets to upgrade his Cortex to add Channel Scanning, Intercom and some other incredible features that are only possible on Cortex!